Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Little About School

I've been refraining from talking about my school, because it seems rude and disrespectful to write about other people, without their knowledge or consent, in such an open forum. But some instances are so common in my daily life that I could be talking about any one of my 370 students, and so universal as part of the JET experience that I could be talking about any one of Japan's 370 million junior high students.

Instance #1 --

Jenn: *says or does pretty much anything*
Students: hysterical laughter
Jenn: *pretends to laugh along, while really wondering what she did wrong*

Instance #2 (also available in separate parts, for an extension of the fun) --

Student: Do you have a boyfriend?
Jenn: That's a secret.
Student: *brief consultation with two other students determines that this means "No"*
Student: Do you like [insert male teacher's name]?
Jenn: That's also a secret.
Student: *another brief consultation determines that this means "Yes"*

I'd love to tell them their logic is flawed, but sadly I don't think their English is up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment